Waterfall Dresser Refresh

By Daylily Custom Design, Owner/Designer in Hinton, IA.

This tired waterfall dresser had seen it's better days when I found it at a garage sale.  Once the pulls were removed, I started by stripping the old finish off of the waterfall top and drawer fronts with Citristrip, cleaned the surfaces with mineral spirits and then carefully sanding the veneer with 150, then 220 grit sand paper. The sides and details on the front were hand-sanded with a 220 grit sand paper to give the surface a prep space for one of my new-found favorite products - General Finishes Milk Paint!  

The stripped areas were coated with General Finishes Gel Stain in Candlelite and the sides were painted with General Finishes Lamp Black Milk Paint.  The dresser was missing 2 of the round knobs on the first drawer, so I had to improvise and purchase some new knobs, then spray painted all knobs and pulls with Rust-Oleum Metallic Pure Gold spray paint.  Finally, the entire dresser was given a few topcoats of General Finishes High Performance Water Based Topcoat in Satin.  I loved how this piece turned out!

Products Used

  • General Finishes Candlelite Gel Stain
  • General Finishes Lamp Black Milk Paint
  • Citristrip
  • Rust-Oleum Metallic Spray Paint in Pure Gold
  • General Finishes High Performance Water Based Topcoat in Satin

Visit Facebook View Profile