I bought this desk from a young couple who started collecting upcycle projects as newlyweds. There oldest child was about to enter Middle School and they had yet to start any of their planned projects. And so they began down sizing and that is how I obtained the desk.
I found it with layers of varnish, loose legs and a multitude of scratches. It had been beautifully used.
I began by cleaning the desk. Next I used a rotary sander and hand sand paper to remove the varnish and scratches from all of the surfaces I was going to stain.
My next step was to use spray shellac to seal the areas that would be painted with Chalk Paint. I sealed it to prevent bleed through.
I decided to chalk paint before I stained. This piece required lots of frog tape to masque off areas during both the painting and staining process. I taped of specific sections and then used both a sprayer and brush to apply the chalk paint. The sprayer was fabulous for painting the narrow cubbies.
I stained all remaining areas with General Finishes Java Gel. I let it dry and set for a day and then sealed it with Zinsser Shelac. After the shellac dried, I distressed the painted areas doing a wet rag distress technique. Lastly I sealed all of the painted areas.
The desk still has a vintage feel and its neutral look makes it perfect for the farmhouse style, industrial, or modern home.
A little FYI, the decor accessories I used for staging were created with General Finishes Java Gel. The Palm Leaf Sign and Vintage Wood Box are all stained with it!