Repairs: I had to remove the top, then I hand planed, sanded and edge glued and clamped the top. Then I glued and clamped top support in place and then had to drill pocket holes in order to re-secure the top with from underneath.
Next, I stabilized the drawers, replaced the top and stripped and sanded the rest of the piece.
Finish on the top: Stained with 3 coats of home stain concoction – I allowed this to cure for a few days. Then I randomly applied GF Flat out Flat but left strips of open grain. Once the FOF was dry, I used hot towels to open the grain. Then I applied liming wax in the grain. When the grain closed I sealed all of it with clear wax and buffed.
Finish on the frame and drawer fronts: I painted the base using a wet brush (colorwash) in a “sedimental “layering technique allowing some of the colors to blend on the piece with breaks for drying and overlapping. I did a light sanding in between steps. Midway through I sealed with GF HP satin to keep some of the more vibrant color in place and then continued with more color washing to add dimension and ended with 2 coats of GF HP Satin on base. On the sides, i used only turquoise & teals with heavier distressing and sealed with GF HP Satin.
Stain: homemade with vinegar in a mason jar with torn pieces of 0000 alt steel wool allowed to steep a week.
Liming Wax: Homemade with as clear 3 tablespoons was and gf antique white mp 1/2 teaspoon.