I wanted to create something unique with this china cabinet, all of the other french provincial china cabinets out there were ususally white and distressed and I wanted to stand out from the crowd.
I wanted it to look like the wood was peeking out from a cover so we used General Finishes Java Gel down the middle and on parts of the legs. We then used Fusion Mineral Paint Coal Black for the outside edges of the cabinet. All Hardware was cleaned and refinished with gold Rub N Buff.
Before we could paint my Husband Jeremy had to repair the back leg, the door, and the skirt. The leg was bowed so we had to straighten it out and re attach it to the body, now you can't even tell it had issues. The door had 2 chips in the veneer near the hinges so those were filled in with sawdust and glue. We sprayed shellac on the body before using the Java Gel which helped hide the patch. The skirt had a chunk missing from it so he traced the other side on paper and cut out a piece to match. Once glued and dried he used the hand plane to make it flush with the rest of the body.
This is one of our favorite pieces. It took a bit of work but in the end it is such a unique one of a kind piece.