Oh this writing desk. What a lovely little...pain in my tush. From the moment I brought it home, I knew its great lines were going to be a beast to uncover with 4 layers of paint. I didn't know, however, how lovely it would be in the end.
After pain-stakingly striping layer-after-layer off of this little writing desk, I uncovered a brilliant wood in the legs - and a less-than-attractive worn wood top. It was then I decided: natural legs, painted top.
I first treated the legs with Watco's Danish Oil in natural, since the wood color of the legs was already so perfect. l then went to a new one for me - General Finishes Driftwood Milk Paint. One coat of Driftwood on and...it just wasn't right. The legs and the paint just didn't make sense together. Driftwood, although beautiful by itself, was just too dark with the legs. I mixed a little GF Antique White Milk Paint in with Driftwood and tried again. Perfect! A little distressing and a pop of pink inside the drawer and a couple of coats of General Finishes High Performance Top Coat in Satin. Finally my little pain in the tush was now a pretty, petite masterpiece!