My First Image Transfer Project

By PJ at Painted PJ's in Tulsa, OK.

When I saw this all wood chest with the flat front wrap around drawer fronts at the auction,  I thought this would an excellent chance for me to try an image transfer.  Even better I won the bid for $12 so it was a small investment to use as an experiment. I stripped and sanded the chest and used a vinegar and steel wool solution and pickliing stain.  Painted the drawer fronts white in preperation of image transfer. I found the image online doing a free image search and had it printed at Staples to fit.  Measured and cut the image to fit the drawers and then cut into 3rds and applied the Image Transfer Solution to the image and placed on drawer.  Aftter it dried, I used a wet washcloth to dampen the image, and slowly removed layers of pulp.  When I was satistifed enough paper was removed, I touched up the image and between drawers with blended paints and glazes. Finished it off with several coats of  General Finishes Flat out Flat Poly. It was a fun project, and easy enough for a beginner.

Products Used

  • Citistrip, Vinegar and Steel Wool stain, Pickling Stain, FolkArt Image Transfer Solution, GF Antique White, GF Flat out Flat.

Visit Facebook View Profile