When a new client called asking for help with a dresser, I knew a few things: 1 - the veneer top was peeling and 2 - GF's Millstone Milk Paint and Java Gel Stain was going to be used, one on the top and the others on the base & drawers. What was to come would even surprise me.
It arrived and the original finish was extremely dark, dark enough that you could barely see the graining. I peeled the veneer off the top and prepped the entire dresser for refinishing. As I sanded off the original finish from the drawer fronts, the incredible birds-eye graining appeared. It was at that time, I messaged my client with a new proposal for the finish - stain the drawer fronts and paint the case/top. I sent a few pics of bare wood of the drawer fronts and the new plan was sealed.
I tested a few stains on the side of the dresser, but none of them looked right with the Millstone sample. It was time to try something new for me - gel stain mixing! I mixed Java and Brown Mahogany gel stain and voila! Perfection! The drawer fronts were stained with the new mix, the case was painted with that gorgeous Millstone, the piece was distressed and two coats of GF's High Performance Top Coat in Satin sealed it into the incredible redesigned piece of furniture it is now!