I stumbled upon this great wardrobe dresser at my local Goodwill store and knew it was exactly what my client was looking for, for her soon to arrive baby girl's nursery. The theme of the her room was pink and grey with graphic elements of polka dots and chevron stripes.
While the dresser was still in fairly good shape (it was a heavy and well made piece of furniture with only a few scratches), it had a VERY outdated glossy, finish that had yellowed over time along with very outdated looking hardware. In short, it was ugly, but I knew she had potential! She wanted a tall and versatile piece with a lot of storage.
After priming the entire piece, I used a regular, white high gloss latex paint for the base coat. The fun part began when I went through the tedious process of taping out all of those chevrons. Several hours later, once all of the tape was placed, I used General Finishes Milk Paint in Seagull Grey and some leftover sample pots of latex in various shades of pink to complete the design. Keeping in mind that little hands might one day be all over the sides and front (perhaps with markers or crayons), I sealed the entire piece with several coats of High Performance Top Coat in Flat.
I love, love, LOVED doing this project, and for my client giving me pretty much complete creative freedom in the design!!