I'm not sure if I've ever seen an uglier piece of furniture! I had plans of doing something fantastic with this hutch some day in the distant future, but some clients were interested in just the bottom part. They were looking for some sort of entertainment cabinet for their son's playroom, for the t.v. to sit on and to hold all of the gaming eqipment, but all of the finished pieces I had in stock were too long to fit the space. Then one day, they spied a hutch piled up in a storage area with other non-finished furniture waiting for their makeover and the hutch bottom was the perfect size! I was happy to split the set for him, and actually ended up having not one, but two, people interested in the hutch top with missing glass shelving!
Since this was a custom order, the colors were chosen to coordinate with their space. The original green color matched some of their upholstery and they loved the idea of some of the green showing through the distressed areas. The clients also asked if I could add some pops of gold as an undercoat as well, and they decided on a warm Brown Mahogony for the top.
This piece has a pull out shelf which was a challenge to find coordinating hardware for. Regular knobs were wider than the shelf and looked strange. The new hardware used on this piece not only fit the style of the space, but there were also several coordinating knobs and pulls to choose from including ring pulls for the pull-out shelf. Huge bonus that the hardware matched the Brown Mahogony top, but I did have to spray paint the brass door hindges with an oil rubbed bronze color. There was no easy way to remove the existing hardware on the pull out shelf so I ended up cutting them off, countersinking what was left with a hammer and screwdriver, patching the old holes and repositioning the new hardware.
After prepping for paint and a good cleaning, I applied the requested mustardy gold color (sample of "oops" paint I had in stock) in various areas on the piece, and then painted the base with GF Millstone Milk Paint. The top had a large black stain that would not sand out but the Brown Mahogony Gel Stain covered it up beautifully. The entire piece was sealed with GF High Performance Top Coat in Flat.
This is not a flashy piece but the transformation from before and after is huge!