When I got this antique dining set it's captain chair was missing an arm. My dad and I used the existing arm to create 2 new arms for the chair. With that done, I set my sights on cleaning off the years of built up wax and who knows what with paint thinner. Then, I stripped the table top to bare wood using paint stripper followed by sanding up to a 180 grit sandpaper. I wanted to really show off the walnut and gum wood top, so I used General Finishes antique cherry water based stain on the gum wood and a mix of General Finishes espresso and dark cherry water based stain on the walnut layer of the top. I used multiple layers of High Performance Top Coat in semigloss for protection. For the table skirt, base, and chairs I began by giving a light sanding followed by an oil based primer to prevent the dark original stain from bleeding through. I gave each 2 coats of antique white milk paint. I love the way you can lightly sand off any mistakes! I then lightly distressed edges of each piece. After a coat of HPTC, I made a glaze using 60% Valspar clear mixing glaze with 40% craft paint to desired color. After applying glaze, I used a dry brush technique to apply the antique white to create depth and dimension followed by HPTC in satin. The seats were recovered using Waverly fabric.