This is a dresser that was given to me by family that never matched my bed. I finally decided to refinish it to match.
I first washed the dresser with warm water, sanded it a bit and washed again. I applied three coats of General Finishes Gel Stain in Java using a foam brush, letting each coat dry for a day between applications. I then put on three coats of General Finishes High Performance Water Based Top Coat. I used a foam brush to apply these coats also and let them dry a day between coats. For the handles and knobs, I used the originals, sanding them and spray painting them with Rust-oleum Matte Hammered spray paint.