I wanted to do something different with this china cabinet so I decided to do a stain/ paint combo to make it look like the stain was peeking out. I used General Finishes Java Gel for the middle and inside on the cherry wood and Fusion Mineral Paint in Coal Black for the rest of the body. The hardware was refinished in Antique Gold Rub n Buff.
Before we could paint my Husband Jeremy had to repair the back leg, the door, and the skirt. The leg was bowed so we had to straighten it out and re attach it to the body, now you can't even tell it had issues. The door had 2 chips in the veneer near the hinges so those were filled in with sawdust and glue. We sprayed shellac on the body before using the Java Gel which helped hide the patch. The skirt had a chunk missing from it so he traced the other side on paper and cut out a piece to match. Once glued and dried he used the hand plane to make it flush with the rest of the body.
This is one of our favorite pieces. It took a bit of work but in the end it is such a unique one of a kind piece.